We believe everyone is A.B.L.E. to connect, A.B.L.E. to contribute and A.B.L.E. to create...
And YOU are A.B.L.E. to make a difference
A.B.L.E. – Artists Breaking Limits & Expectations is seeking committed, diverse, and experienced board members to help guide the organization through its new growth.
A.B.L.E. was founded with a mission of creating performing arts opportunities through which individuals with Down syndrome and other developmental differences feel accepted and empowered to discover their own unique voices, and develop the confidence and skills to share who they are and all that they are ABLE to do.
What Makes A.B.L.E. Unique
A.B.L.E develops theatre and film projects for, with, and by actors with Down syndrome and other developmental differences in a fun and supportive environment. We believe being on stage should be fun, and in creating equal opportunities for creative expression for all. For its programs for teens, adults, and outreach initiatives, A.B.L.E. draws passionate teaching artists from the Chicago community keen to share their personal performing experiences. A.B.L.E. strives to be both a creative and social outlet for its participants and to build community between all of its participants, their families, and our volunteers.
Serving on the Board
Board members represent a wide range of professional backgrounds and expertise. A.B.L.E. is at an exciting moment of expansion and board members will work collaboratively to shape policies and strategy for the years ahead. The Board has a minimum of 4 regular meetings each year, in addition to teleconferences and e-mails for separate committee work . The Board is responsible for managing the organizational finances and setting long term priorities, in addition to overseeing and advising the Artistic Director, who is responsible for A.B.L.E.'s day-to-day management.
A.B.L.E. Needs YOU if . . .
- You are excited about being part of a hard-working (but also fun-loving), respectful team
- You have the time and energy to spend an average of 5-10 hours a month doing board work: attending regular meetings, participating in committee work, and being an ambassador for A.B.L.E. in your community
- You are willing to make 2-year commitment to the Board
- You are committed to assisting with fundraising and development initiates.
- You have a passion for the arts and/or disability advocacy
We’re especially interested in talking with you if:
- You have been a leader on a non-profit board before and you are ready to bring your experience and insight to another organization
- You are an experienced fundraiser, and enthusiastic about sharing your skills
- You have experience in marketing
- You have expertise in finance and/or accounting
A.B.L.E. is seeking new board members to serve two -year terms beginning in August 2018. Click here to e-mail Katie to receive more detailed information receive an online application. Successful applicants will be interviewed by the current board, and must complete a background check.